According to David N. Roach, Co- Founder, The Familyhood Connection Inc, “Healthy Economics,” is an inter-generational approach of increasing sustainability from within a community by utilizing schools as centers for development.
Healthy Economics defines the school in every community as the nucleus of that communities development.
Healthy Economics, through its four programs, divides the school into three main organizations and collaborates them to operate a school garden, farmers market and grocery store on school sites.
A brief description of how they work together, to advance a community towards Familyhood is below. (the order could vary in different school sites).
Many schools do not have these three basic organizations functioning on school campuses: Student Government Association (SGA), Parent Teacher Association (PTA), and Alumni Association (AA).
Some schools have a strong PTA and some no PTA at all.
Is this fair for the students?
Is education equal, one school has a Student Government Association on campus that enables students hands on leadership training, cooperative learning, etc, and another school no Student Government at all?
The Friends of School Program motto is “every school will have a functioning Student Government Association, Parent Teacher Association and Alumni Association.”
Once the school has these three functioning on campus, #Familyhood promotes them to collaborate, This collaboration is called “The Intergenerational Enterprise.”
“Intergenerational represents students, parents, alumni working together.
“Enterprise” represents The Mo’ Better Food Program, which says’ every school will have a garden, a farmers market and a grocery store.
#Familyhood promotes The Intergenerational Enterprise to start/operate these food related enterprises.
How does this all begin one may ask?
It begins with The 1st Saturdays Program.
1st Saturdays is the official monthly volunteer/recruitment day to support the above agenda.
The Steps are:
1. Register to be “a friend of a school” at “Friends of school .org”
2. Assuming you are approved (no legal issues, etc) “the friend” gains the support of the school’s Principal to enable “the friend” to recruit members to join each of the three main organizations (SGA, PTA, ALUMNI).
3. The Principal (School Administration) marks the the school calendar with “SAVE THE DATES” – 1st Saturdays -monthly volunteer/ recruitment day.
4. “The Friend” promotes 1st Saturdays for these organizations or “interested individuals” to meet and volunteer at the school once a month.
5. During the 1st Saturdays event, if the school has a functioning Student Government Association and/or Parent Teacher Association and/or Alumni Association, organizations updates from representatives are part of the 1st Saturdays agenda.
If the school does not have any or all of the above organizations, then 1st Saturdays assists in recruiting members to join any of these organizations for the school.
In addition to hearing updates from these organizations, Healthy Economics promotes these organizations to collaborate under the title of The Inter-generational Enterprise.
The Inter-generational Enterprise plans/operates “healthy activities” such as planning/working the school garden, planning/working the schools farmers market and expanding the school’s capacity to eventually having a school based grocery store on campus.
This collaboration, The Inter-generational Enterprise which consists of a body of students, parents, alumni and community partners, meeting every 1st Saturdays of the month with plans of hosting a school garden, farmers market and grocery store, as mentioned above, is what Healthy Economics defines as a community heading towards Familyhood.
Familyhood is a self sustaining society that lives in peace and harmony and one word to describe the strategies of Healthy Economics.